Creative Fields
2D, Adventure
Client
The Game Assembly
Completion Date
Mar 1st, 2013



  My responsibilities

  • Research & preproduction
  • Level Design
  • Game Design
  • Scripting
  • Environment art
  • Content creation
  • QA

  Tools:

  • Maya
  • Photoshop
  • Notepad++
  • .xml
  • Custom walkable area tool

Summary

This game was created by 11 students, 3 level designers, 3 programmers and 5 artists. It is a 2D game but all assets are rendered in 3D from Maya. We built the game from the ground up and worked with an agile SCRUM-based development framework. The game was made in 4 weeks during an eight week period. The game was also nominated for Best Scenario at the Swedish Game Awards 2013.

Puzzle design

The whole team pitched in with puzzle ideas during the whole project. the level designers refined this feedback and our own ideas to general puzzles and then produced flowcharts. then we continued to work individually on the different puzzles to refine it more. lastly we pitched it to each other and then we presented the puzzle design to the rest of the team and started to order the features and sprites that was required. when we got new assets we built the puzzle in XML and tested it in game. every puzzle was iterated many times, refined and improved.

ScriptingThe Tomte's lair

We used a custom made XML-based scripting language to handle most of the interactive elements. I created props, placed objects into the level, handled level transition, cutscenes and more with this. Even though there are far better solutions we managed to do a great job with the tools we had and figured out many creative ways to get the most of it.

Paper planning

flowchart forest First we did figured out the general flow of the different game play areas and I created flow charts. By combining the flow charts with the backstory from pre-production I produced a top down over the area and divided it into different scenes. Then I described each area with a short text and developed a story board image together with an artist. Finally the storyboard was divided into key background elements, sprite objects and walkable areas. from this I could get an accurate background with the right props in the image and space for sprite objects that I placed into the level XML-file.